Monday, December 07, 2009

Practicing The Presence of God


Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
But only he who sees, takes off his shoes,
The rest sit round it, and pluck blackberries.


-- Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Aurora Leigh 1857


Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?

If I ascend to heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.

If I take the wings of the dawn,
If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,

Even there Your hand will lead me,
And Your right hand will lay hold of me.


-- David the Shepherd King
Psalm 139

2 comments:

Revol said...

I have never read Elizabeth Browning. Thanks for drawing my attention to the Lord's work done through her. I will search for more.
MichaelDKaster

Terry Rayburn said...

You're welcome.

Elizabeth was the wife of the great poet Robert Browning.