Follow Grace_For_Life on Twitter

Monday, August 02, 2010

Jesus Loves Me And Theologians

A theologian is one who, when you remark that Jesus loves me this I know, demands to know what you mean by Jesus, what by loves, what by me, and what by know.  For asking such questions theologians are supported in oriental luxury in the seminaries, and respected as educated and intelligent men.

Although those words were written by me, I freely stole the concept from the brilliant and often hilarious popper-of-pompous-balloons, H.L. Mencken (1880-1956), who once wrote:

"A metaphysician is one who, when you remark that twice two is four, demands to know what you mean by twice, what by two, what by makes, and what by four. For asking such questions metaphysicians are supported in oriental luxury in the universities, and respected as educated and intelligent men."

Anyway, Jesus loves me, this I know.

By the way, I would never wear that tee-shirt that says,

Jesus Loves You - But I'm His Favorite


He told me it was our little secret.   :)

No comments: